Sunday, March 6, 2011

What we've been up to..

These pictures may look deciving for the month of February. Yes, we have had some wonderful spring like days, and it has been wonderful!!

We have decided to finally put in a garden, Yay!! I miss my home grown tomatoes and vegetables. It's not as big as our last garden but it is a start. I am even trying to start some of the plants in the house while we are preparing the area. I am so excited!!!! I will keep you posted as to if we actually get anything. We have been trying to grow tomatoes in pot the last few years, it has worked but we get these big fat, ugly green caterpillars (you know the one in "A Bugs Life" that's what they remind me of) that get to the tomatoes before we did. We would have to pick them while they were green and they just weren't the same. I hear that they don't bother the tomatoes while they are in the ground, we will see, my fingers are crossed.

Dad and Clark putting the box together.

Andrew and Emma they love playing inside there. Something new I guess.

Andrew already wanting to help dig.

The before picture. I had started digging then realized I hadn't taken a before picture.

Starting to prepare the area. I wanted to get started before we had cement poured. We were having some cement poured to extend the patio so the kids could have more room to play basketball without the ball hitting the windows, and a pad poured in the corner so we could put a shed there. The backyard is looking different with the improvements we have been doing, but it is looking good.














 Again, I forgot to take pictures before the cement was poured. I had left to go to Ryan' s school for an awards assemebly, left a message with the contractor that the gate was open and the dog's put away, so if they came before I got home they could get to work. Well by the time I got home the cement truck had left and they were just finishing up. So all I have are the slabs with the frame work around them. When we get the garden in and the backyard finished I will post the finished looked.
 













The boys are loving having more room to play basketball. The last few months they really hadn't gone out, but since they have been able to play on it they have been out there every day. But soccer for them has started so we will see.



Happy Birthday Dr. Suess!!!!
This past Wednesday was Dr. Suess's Birthday/Read Across America Day, and at Emma's school they were asked to dress up as their favorite Dr. Suess character. She chose Cindy Lou Who from "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" (the live version). Doesen't she just look so cute. We had fun getting her hair to stay up with what we had at the house. She loved it that when she came home she wouldn't let me take it out she wanted to wear it to Activity Day's that night. Everyone loved it and gave her lots of compliments. She is too funny.

Also that morning was the awards assembly at Ryan's school. They like to have awards for the students that scored a 3 or 4 on the ARMT (4 being the best, Alabama Reading and Math Test). Ryan did an awesome job, for the second year in a row he scored a 4!!! Way to go Ryan, I am so proud of you, keep up the great work!!! He also has decided that reading is awesome, he has found the Harry Potter series to be exciting and with that he has jumped up in the A.R. points with over 150 for the year so far. He is doing a great job and I am glad he has decided the reading great.

Ryan and his award!! He had to have his Cat in the Hat hat on since he had it with him for the celebrating of Dr. Suess.


Also this past week I had to take Andrew into the Doctor for another ear infection again. He was pulling and putting his finger in his ear and saying what sounded like owe. He also had a fever and now he has a cold. I wish this weather would decided one way or the other, one day it is 75 degrees and then the next (like today it was in the 50's and chilly). I am ready for spring:)!!!!!


The last few weeks I have been helping out in Young Womens a little bit more (due to the 2nd counslor and friend having surgery). Just my luck it was time for the Beehives to be incharge of the combined activity and Are You Smarter Than a CTR had already been planned. So I took on finding the questions and delegated the rest out to the Beehive presidency. I browsed the CTR manuals and the internet for questions hoping they weren't too easy and that the youth would have fun playing. Everything turned out wonderful and I think they had fun. Talk about a lot of reading, typing, draft after draft to come up with the completed game. Now I have one and we can do it again (if they want).

2 comments:

The Hoyt Crew said...

Have fun with the garden and a shed.. how fun.. I just love having ONLY grass... but we do have more cement than any other house around... enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Masey said the game turned out great. THey had a lot of fun! Excited to see how your garden does. Keep us updated!