Monday, January 10, 2011

Christmas Vacation 2010!!!!

We went with some friends into Montgomery to visit some historical places. We were hoping to go earlier in the week but the friends that we went with took their van in to get it fixed, and it was only supposed to be a five hour job turned into seven days. Needless to say after calling the mechanic for a few days she borrowed her Mom's car, I took her daughter and neice, and we headed into Montgomery. We headed to the Cattleman's Association Mooseum. Got there and it was closed for lunch or so we thought, we went to the park for lunch and headed back to the Mooseum, got there and it was closed till the next Monday (we didn't notice the note on the door). Lucky us!! Now we were headed for the First White House of the Confederacy, hoping it's open.




The First White House of the Confederacy
We finally made it inside the building. Every time that I have gone it was closed, so when we got there and the sign in the window said open I was so excited. It was neat to go inside and see the items that were there when Jefferson Davis lived there.

The group of kids that went. No, Andrew is not with us Dad was home so I left him with his Daddy and I enjoyed not having to worry about him.

The table here in the picture is the table that Jefferson Davis wrote "The Rise and Fall of Confederate Government "

Emma and Marianna looking at the pretty dresses that were worn then.

One of the rooms in the home. I love the dress in this picture, and also the spinning wheel over in the corner.

A shot of the current State Capitol from one of the upstairs rooms in the house.



Grandma's Attic

Next we ventured next door to the Archives building, where there is Grandma's Attic. The kids can come here and learn about Alabama and dress up in some fun outfits. Here Emma and Grace are modeling some beautiful old time hats, and Marianna is modeling a band uniform (she was pretending that she was Michael Jackson, she said this looked like something he wore. My friend is a huge fan of Michael Jackson) the girls were so funny playing dress up!!!

Here Clark and Zack were combing cotton (I can't remember the term), and Ryan and Peyton were playing games. Grandma's Attic is a hands on learning place where you can also have fun learning!!
This isn't a great picture but Ryan was trying on some dress ups and he thought this one was awesome!!

In the Archives building they usually have a couple of rooms on Alabama's history. Most of the rooms were being moved to another area except one. Part of the reason we went to the archives building was to find the Bible that was used when Jefferson Davis was sworn in as the President of the Confederacy. Monica is home schooling Grace and they are learning about Alabama history, and in Grace's book it talks about the bible. We were told it was probably put away to be moved, while we were leaving we found one room that they hadn't taken the things away yet and we found it. They were excited, it was cool to see it there. We also learned that when every Governor of Alabama is sworn in they use this same Bible. It is a lot of fun learning about the South.


I have to go now, this has taken a lot longer then I planned, due to uploading a lot more pictures then losing them and having to start over. I will get back to this hopefully tomorrow when I have a few minutes.


No comments: