Thursday, June 16, 2011

Just tryin' to stay cool!!

Back in January we had cancelled our membership to the YMCA because we weren't using it.  A few weeks ago we decided to renew it because it is just too hot and the kids wanted to go swimming and not just in the backyard little pool.  Last week we spent every day there because it was nice and cool in the water.  The temperatures here have been at least 97 degrees or hotter and then add the humidity to that.  We even had a few days over 100 last week plus the humidity.  Yuck.  This is when I miss the dry heat of Utah, can't wait to visit, man am I going to freeze. 

Well back to what we have been doing lately.  Like I said it has been so hot that we haven't really left the house except to go to the pool, or the library.  The kids have enjoyed playing at the pool (as long as there are friends there) that they don't mind going everyday.  Andrew has really enjoyed it too, he is a fearless little one.  The YMCA has some slides and he threw a fit because I wouldn't take him up to the top, I thought he was a little young for that, but with persistence and a little fit throwing I gave in and had Emma take him up to the top and I would catch him.  He thought that was great, so Clark, Ryan and Emma took turns taking him up to the top and either Dad or I would catch him.  So now when we go he has to go down the slides, (there are two that he can go down one is faster and the other one he creeps down, can you guess which one he likes best?  Yep the faster one. 
Here he is creeping down the one slide,  Emma is catching him while her friend is coming down behind. He wasn't too thrilled here to go down the slide once he got to the top, he had already done it every day before this.  But oh well he did it and loved it.
Emma catching Andrew
Ryan drying off to go inside and play basketball with his friend.  They later came back out and swam some more but I had put the camera away and had a sleeping toddler on my lap so I couldn't get a picture of him in the water.
Clark, he was practicing his swimming.  He and Ryan had to go to the Scout camp the next day and have there swim test to so what kind of a swimmer they were for camp.  One nice thing about swimming is it wears the kids out, and I have some piece and quiet for a little while.


Andrew riding his bike outside.  Dad was out weed-eating and it was a little bit cooler the other night so we joined him outside.  Whenever we are outside Emma loves to ride her bike and scooter and Andrew tries to go with her.  To get him away from her so she could ride I had her go and get his bike and he had a blast until he got down to the end of the driveway and I wouldn't let him on it.  I showed him how to turn it around and go back toward the house and he decided that was okay.


Yesterday we took off to go to the "free movie" and then on to the Splash Pad.  Here they have a free movie two days a week and this one was "Diary of a Wimpy Kid", one that the kids love. They also love to read the books over and over and over again.  With Scout Camp going on this week I had one child of mine upset that we were going to see the movie the week he was gone.  He loves it.  Little does he know we can go to the theater again, it won't be the same show but they just love going to the movies.  We had just gone to see "Pirates of the Caribbean, On Stranger Tides" on Saturday.  It was a good show, I don't think it was as good as the others but it was still awesome.  After the movie we went to the Splash Pad and the kids enjoyed it.  We went with my friend Monica and her kids.  It was so hot, it seemed like we had to park a mile away and walk there.  It seems like everywhere in Montgomery you have to hike to do anything.  Well we got our exercise for the day, and I was beat. 
Emma
Andrew, he wasn't too sure but finally decided to get wet.  I think he realized it was just like running through the sprinkler.  He didn't want to leave,
Emma, Andrew, Grace and Joseph
Andrew, trying to step on the water spout
The Splash Pad is on the other side of the Montgomery Biscuits Stadium (see scoreboard in the background) and in between them are the train tracks.  Andrew thought this was so cool, but talk about loud!!!  He loves cars, trucks, trains etc.
Eating lunch, Yum!!

Like I had mentioned earlier Clark and Ryan have Scout Camp this week, Clark spends the night while Ryan has to go back and forth (because he is only 11).  He was quite upset that he couldn't stay overnight with his birthday in two weeks, but rules are rules.  He is having fun and I have not talked to Clark since he left.  On Monday when we went to get him I snapped a picture of him and a couple of friends.  Look how happy, hopefully they will still be smiling by Saturday.
Connor, Ryan and Zack


Last night was Father son night at the camp for dinner (steak and potatoes), Dad went and got a few pictures of the boys. They still look happy, but they are starting to look a little tired.  Clark and Ryan are in three of their five merit badge classes together.  This year we had them take more required merit badges so they could get closer to their eagle rank so that is why they were lucky enough to get that many together.  Hopefully they are enjoying the time together and not ignoring each other.
Clark and his tent
Clark and Ryan
Ryan
Clark and Preston
Is that a smile I see.  I don't know, maybe it is a little one.
Some of the boys in the troop and their leaders

That is about all that we have been doing lately, hopefully Clark will have some pictures to post from his camera from camp, also I think we are going to go family day tomorrow afternoon.  Just something more to do in the sweltering heat, but then again I get to see my boys.

No comments: