A couple of weeks ago it was that time of year when the kids get to show off their talents at the piano recital. All three of the lids did a great job as usual, even trying to get them to practice was like pulling teeth. I take that back, last year at this time I couldn't get Ryan to practice without a fight but the last few months half the time I find him on the piano without being asked to practice. I think he has decided that it is something he loves and he is very talented on the piano. Now I just need to get him to practice his clarinet without being asked (which he is also very talented at). I do have to brag for him, he came home the other day and informed me that one of his friends that he has battled with (she has always been just one seat higher than him, yes I said "she", he has many friends that are girls) all year, he finally beat her and is now two chairs behind him. He was so excited, he ended the school year in the fourth chair position. Way to go Ryan!!!
Okay back to the recital, I love to hear them progress and struggle trying to learn their songs. They are given a song that is a little above their level and they always do great on it.
This year Emma played "Malaguena* by Pablo de Sarasate. Notice, no sheet music, she memorized it and it is three pages long. She did a great job playing it. Some of the parents were like "wow she memorized it". I am so proud of her.
Ryan played the "First Movement of the Moonlight Sonata" by Ludwig van Beethoven, Op. 27, No. 2. His piece is six pages long and he did a great job. Some of the parents were surprised that he played it and at that played it wonderfully. It is one of my favorite new songs. Ryan has decided that he loves to play classical music. Since we take a break from lessons for the summer their teacher gives them a song to learn and practice. This year he received "Cannon in D", he has actually played a simplified version of the song but it was in "C" insted of "D". He received it yesterday and has already practiced twice already (last night when we got home and this morning before school). I am so glad he has decided he enjoys the piano, now to get him to play Hymns.
Clark played "The Entertainer" by Scott Joplin. He did a great job on the song considering it is four pages with repeats that Clark was telling me equals out to be about ten pages total. YIKES!! This is one of those fun songs that everyone enjoys listening to. Ragtime songs are just so much fun, it is hard not to tap your foot to it. We have tried to get him to play it for a couple of years now and I am glad he finally decided to. I think he really enjoyed it. One of the parents sitting in front of me was tapping away and just enjoying the fun beat. Over the summer Clark's piece of music to learn is "Fur Elise" (or if you are like me and remember it as the McDonald's song, from their commercial a long time ago as my kids put it, late 80's early 90's). Another one of my favorites. Clark and Ryan are both learning to play out of our hymn book so that when they are missionaries they can help out in the mission field. I had forgotten, but this last Sunday Clark was asked by his piano teacher (who is also the organist and music coordinator for the ward) to play the prelude for sacrament meeting. I had to leave the room, I was hoping to be back before he finished, I missed him playing but I was told he did a great job. What hopefully in the fall he will know enough hymns and she will start teaching him how to play the organ. He is excited to learn the organ.
Clark and Andrew after the recital.
Em and Addi being silly after the recital. They are two crazy girls!
Soccer
Andrew getting his game on!
I had to add a few pictures of Clark playing soccer this season. He had some night games and the pictures just don't turn out very well, so I had to wait for a Saturday game. His team has had a lot of fun playing and a couple of Monday's ago they finally had their first win. Then the next two games they tied the teams, and during one of those games Clark finally scored his first goal of the season. WAHOO!! I have decided his team likes weeknight games over Saturday games since the games at night were a lot closer and a lot more fun to watch and they weren't slaughtered like their Saturday games.
So close, almost scored his second goal of the season. Just a little harder and it would have gone in.

No comments:
Post a Comment