Friday, November 22, 2013

Playing catch up

We all know I do this a lot, play catch up.  Life has been crazy the last few weeks.  I don't have a lot to post about, but I thought I would get caught up.  Life has slowed down for the moment, so I am going to enjoy it.  Except I am of the end of fighting another cold/allergies.  I wish this weather would stay either warm or cold and not fluctuate form the air conditioner one day to the heater the next.  I never thought that the weather would change so drastically daily here in the south.  Here we go, I hope you enjoy the post.

Marching Band
A couple of weeks ago Emma and I were finally able to go to the high school football game to watch Ryan and the marching band perform.  I had seen the performance but it was either from the back or I was working the game and didn't have my camera. They did an awesome job.  I have tried and tried to upload a video of their performance but it won't let me.  So I am going to keep trying, I may just have to post them to facebook.  I didn't even get a still of their performance.  I do have some pictures I am going to post, thanks to the band parents that are every game taking pictures with their awesome cameras.  Thank you!! Enjoy them they are just some random stills from the football season.  The marching band got to perform one extra week due to the football team making the first round of the playoffs, but they ended up losing.  So now we are done with the marching portion for the year (with the exception of marching in the Christmas parade in a few weeks).  Secretly I am glad we are done, I have had a very busy fall. 
Me and Em at the game.
 
 
 


Soccer All-Stars
This last Saturday (November 16, 2013) Emma and I left for Dothan for the All-Star Soccer Tournament.  Like I stated in an earlier post (I think) Emma is the only one that made it this time, which was probably good anyway.  We had a great day just the two of us other then her getting really upset at me because she thought I was going the wrong way, she thought she knew the way and that would have put us completely on the other side of the town.  Low in behold I was going the right way and after we left the field and was on our way home I showed her where she would have led us if I followed her directions.  She realized that I might just know what I am doing.

Back to the games.  There were only three teams total in her division so we had games at noon and at three.  It was extremely nice that we didn't have to play on Sunday, I was grateful they decided to have them finish on Saturday.  Sticking to our no games on Sunday really payed off this year.  The team played hard, Emma played harder than I think I have ever seen her play.  They lost both of their games but in my eyes they came away winners.  There were only a hand full of returning girls from last year, and they hadn't been playing together for too long, just about a month.  They did a great job, in the end and I am so proud of them.  Emma moves up to the next group next fall and she is one of two or three that move up, so I think next year if the younger girls make it they will be awesome to watch.  This might have been the last year for Emma to get to go to All-Stars since from now on it tends to be co-ed for the older teams, maybe not, maybe she will show up those "stinky, smelly" boys and make it.  Here are some random pictures from her games, sorry something is wrong with my camera so I tried to pick some of the best looking action shots.
 
 
 
 
 
 2013 All-Star team
The team won the "Sportsmanship Trophy"
They were still excited to get a trophy even though they didn't get an individual trophy.  
Great job girls!!




I can't remember if I posted about my new calling in the ward.  Back in October'ish I was released from the cub master and put in as the young women's second counselor.  In which Emma thought was great since she will be turning twelve this coming year.  I was so excited to be in with the young women again but I was very sad leaving my cub scouts.  I had the BEST cubs in the world.  I still have a few that come up to me and tell me that they want me back.  That makes me feel so good, maybe I did have an impact on them.  But like I said I am really excited to be in the young women's program.  The beehives I have are the best!!  This last Tuesday (Nov. 19, 2013) the beehives were in charge of the combined activity with the boys and one of the things they wanted to do was have an etiquette dinner.  We decided as a presidency that that was what we were going to do and we planned it. 

We met in the chapel since they were in their Sunday dress and had a short introduction into etiquette/manners.  Before they went to the gym for the dinner we had assigned seats for them and the young man that was on the young women's left had to escort her on his arm to the gym, seat her and then seat himself.  It's never too early to learn how to be a gentleman. (I would have loved to get pictures but since I was in charge I spaced and left my camera at home, so I am borrowing pictures from others that were taking them. If I get some other pictures that due better I will post them.)  We had the salad on the table waiting for them but they did great waiting for the host to sit and start before they started.  Let me back up a little.  We had asked a couple in the ward to teach the youth etiquette.  I thought they did a great job.  They started with how to set a table (place setting), to how to hold your utensils, cutting food into bite size pieces, how to hold your goblet/glass to questions about random things about etiquette like what do you do if you have to blow your nose.  I think made it fun while they learned.  The kids also had some real questions for the couple to answer.  We served salad, spaghetti and meatballs and an easy cheesecake for dessert.  I think it went well and I hope the youth enjoyed it.  It was funny while they were eating it was extremely quiet.  I think they were concentrating on using manners.  I don't think I have ever heard it that quiet ever with this group.  
 
I hope they had fun and learned something to take with them.  I am so glad I was able to plan this and have some fun while enjoying the evening with our AWESOME youth.


I think I am now caught up for a little while.  Now bring on Thanksgiving break for the kids.  Maybe we will do something fun. I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving if I don't get back before then!!


Still to come fall family pictures...
I don't want to reveal them before our Christmas cards come out.

No comments: