Thursday, September 8, 2011

Ryan and the clarinet!

 With Ryan entering jr high and the option of band class, he has decided to learn how to play the clarinet.  I was thinking what are we getting into, I had played the clarinet from sixth grade thru the end of eighth grade and I remember the practicing and all the fun it is to learn to play.  I wasn't the best at playing the clarinet but I enjoyed it till our jr high band teacher left just before eighth grade and we got a new teacher.  Class wasn't as much fun as it was before and I didn't feel I was learning anything new so I took the easy way out and switched to choir.  

Well back to Ryan.  He has been in band for 3 weeks and is loving it!  The weirdest thing I think is they don't learn/play together as a full band, and in first period it's just the clarinets and the percussion.  To me that is weird since I learned to play with the whole band. 
 
He is getting a lot better, he doesn't squeak to much any more.  One day all I could hear was note, note, squeak, squeak, squeak, so I peeked in on him and noticed he was holding the clarinet wrong, showed him the correct way and he is doing much better.  I can help with the clarinet and I am not much help the piano.
They had their first concert Tuesday night, they did a great job for only having class for three weeks. I can't wait to hear more.

No comments: