Monday, August 6, 2012

Vacation 2012

{Sorry it has taken me so long to post this, I have had the pictures ready but trying to journal them was taking time.  I am not the best when it comes to grammar so I type it, read it, fix it, read it again and then finally post if it sounds good. So my apologies if there are errors.  And yes I know I have had some smaller posts while I was editing this.  I hope you enjoy seeing the pictures and comments, I am glad I have finally finished our vacation pictures.}

As usual we went to Utah for a visit.  We were able to be there for three weeks this year.  Well, except dad  he had to go on a business trip during the last week we were there, so it gave us a few extra days to get some more visits in with our families.  I feel bad not being able to visit with some of our old friends, hopefully one of these years we will have more time if we can still make it out there.  I know the kids would like to see some of their friends too.

This year we left later then usual, do to scout camp and youth conference.  I have decided the boys need to go to camp to work on their merit badges since they fight me to do it.  Also, Clark is at that age where I think youth conference is more important.  We can always plan our trips after they finish, I am afraid one of these years we are going to be too busy with scout camp, youth conference (both boys get to go next year) and girls camp (couple years and Em will be there).  Kids, they grow up too fast!!  Just a couple of years back dad would drive us out, come back home for work and then fly back to get us six weeks later (okay, maybe he would come back after four weeks and then stay for two weeks).   I am just going to cherish having them here, they will be gone before I know it.

We left on June 30 in the direction of Florence, Al to pick up Clark from youth conference, he had been at the University of Northern Alabama since Thursday.  We decided instead of waiting for them to get back here, we would meet him and be on our way, since we were headed north anyway.  After a long day of heading north towards St. Louis we stopped and met with my sister's family and had dinner.  Since we were behind schedule (do to wonderful traffic) we decided to just meet them at a restaurant and then be on our way since we still had a ways to go.  It was great to see them and visit for a little while.  This was the first and last year to have family on our travels back home (unless someone else moves east), my brother in law finally finished medical school and was able to get a great job back in Utah.  So congrats to them.   We finally arrived at our destination late Sunday afternoon, and we were so excited to be there and get out of the truck.  I still worry about Andrew and how long he will be good when we are getting ready to leave, he keeps surprising me and does better then expected.  He does better when I am in the back with him, so when dad and I trade off driving we sit by him and he does quite well.

Now back to some of the highlights of our vacation and I am warning you now *picture overload*.  I have such a hard time trying to decide what to put here, so I hope I did a good job trying not to put too many.  This is only a small fraction of the pictures taken.  One of these days maybe I can get back to scrapbooking. 

Lagoon   One thing the kids look forward to each year is going to Lagoon with their cousins.  This year was no different. We all got together the night before with everyone had a barbeque, enjoyed each others company and the kids all made them a shirt to wear.  They were all different and their personalities were shown.  They all did a great job on their shirts.  The nice thing was even though they were all different they were all the same colors  (the boys were a darker blue and the girls were a lighter blue) it wasn't to hard to miss them.   For me this year wasn't any different with the exception of it being my birthday, I still got sick do to motion sickness.  This getting older thing really bites, you would think I would remember the motion sickness medicine, or better yet maybe a motion sickness patch next year.  When you mix allergies and motion rides it doesn't sit well with me.  This year was better than last, I didn't get as sick as I did last year but I just want to go once and feel great the whole time.  We hope next year is even better!  The one good thing is at least while it is HOT there it's not a Hot and HUMID heat like it is here. 
Three silly girls enjoying a great day at Lagoon!
Clark and  most of the cousins. 
I wanted to get a shot with all of them but of course it didn't happen
Dad and Dalton.
This was Dalton's last trip to Lagoon with us for the next few years as he is going to serve a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in the Birmingham, Alabama Mission.
Carrson, Ryan and Nathan. Still going strong after hours of Lagoon!

Fourth of July and camping  Like every other year for the last six or seven years, with the exception of one or two, we have made sure we were camping over the Fourth of July so we could go to the fireworks in Montpelier, Idaho.  This year was no exception we made it just in time.  The sad thing about camping this year was we had decided to sell our fifth wheel.  I thought since it hadn't sold before we left we might get to use it one last time, but that didn't happen.  As we were getting ready to go Friday night we got a call from Carrson's brother in law he had some buyers there and they wanted it.  So needless to say we arrived in Utah Sunday night and Monday morning Carrson and his brother in law headed to meet them at the bank.  

We still had a great time camping, we were able to use Elizabeth's trailer.  The boys set up tents and had a blast having their cousins in with them.  Em also tried to sleep out there with one of her cousins but when it came down to it they ended up in the trailer.
Enjoying the fireworks!  
They were great!  I keep saying who would of thought a small town like Montpelier would have one of the best firework shows I have ever seen.
Grandpa making a s'more for Andrew.  Notice Andrew waiting patiently.
Who would of thought we would be out cooking dinner and s'mores over the fire after the day we had had.  We woke up to rain and by three in the afternoon the temperature had dropped to 43 degrees and we were freezing (hence the jackets).  Living in the south for the last five and a half years doesn't do well on a cold day in Utah.
Trying to keep his s'more away from Aggie.  
Boy was that hard!!
YUMMY!!
Both Grandma and Grandpa joined us. 
We usually can't get grandpa to join us but he decided to this time.  He even taught the kids the best way to roast a marshmallow. Isn't that what grandpa's are for!
 They wanted me to be in a picture too!

One of our favorite things to do while we are camping and in Utah is to go four wheeling.  We had set out for the Paris Ice Caves and Bloomington Lake.  We were able to make it to the Ice Caves with no problem but the road we were going to take to the lake was closed and the other way was down a steep mountain of sheer rocks.  Um no thanks.
Andrew, excited to go,  fell asleep on the ride to the ice caves.
Down in the cave.
The kids love to climb on the rocks.
Notice the snow. I don't think the snow ever completely melts inside here.  This year the kids became even braver and they ventured back into another part on the cave where you have to walk/crawl across the ice and crawl low to the ground into a small room that is very dark and it has a floor of ice.  The only way to see in there is with a flashlight.  They thought that was pretty cool.
The group snacking and getting ready to head on.
Waiting for our turn to go through a difficult part.

Deciding on whether to go down the rocks or not.  We didn't just have four wheelers, we also had a Terex (side by side) that they weren't sure would make it without sliding down the mountain.  But I love the scenery, notice the snow on the mountain (remember it is the sixth of July here).
Andrew picked up a new friend along the way
Until we told him he had no idea it was there.  He kind of freaked out, he didn't like it being there.

Splash Pad  While we were there we went to a (new to us) splash pad.  The older boys stayed with dad to help in the yard, so it was just Em, Andrew and myself.  We met two of my sisters and my mom there.  Emma and Andrew were excited that they were the only ones in the water for a little bit. 
They all liked playing around this.  They would take turns sitting on it or playing with the water coming out of it.  They would get so mad when the water would stop and we would have to push the button to start it again. 

BBQ's, Playin' in the water and fun, fun, fun.  
BBQ with the family.
Playing in the water.

We had gone to my sisters for dinner one of he nights we were there and had some yummy "Maddox" Turkey Steaks, mashed potatoes and gravy.  Living in the south we don't get the turkey steaks (since they are from a Utah restaurant), and I had not had one for ever.  They are one of my favorite meals.  While we were there the men played "Texas Hold Em", the kids jumped on their trampoline, played on their swing set, while my sister, myself and my mom sat and visited. 
 Playing "Texas Hold Em for Dummies"
Yes, Carrson was playing too, I decided to take a picture while he was on a conference call, and I didn't realize he wasn't in the picture till they had finished playing.
Jumping on the tramp.
Lava Hot Springs something else the kids like to do is go to Lava Hot Springs in Idaho while we are up camping. 
Dad, Clark, Ryan and Emma all jumped off the platforms this year.  Better them then me, I can barely jump off the regular diving board.  When we first got there Emma headed straight for the higher diving board.  I was worried that she would get to the top and decide not to go.  She didn't. she jumped and was ready for the lower platform.  She talked one of her cousins into jumping off the platform with her.
Later I went back with her to jump off the diving boards, I did the regular one she did the high dive and as I was coming up to the surface all I could hear was her crying, she ended up doing a belly flop.  I felt bad for her.  I helped her out (with a little help from the lifeguard, he was just about to jump in but she really didn't need him to) and we went and sat out for a little while. Needless to say she felt better, she went back in the water with her cousins but I don't think she went off the diving board again.  But while we were there they did have to clear the pools for an emergency.  A kid jumped off one of the platforms and that is all we know except that they were holding him very still and keeping his neck from moving.  Scary!!!
Emma and her cousin Majerle (bottom platform). 
Just kicking back and relaxing!!
Andrew loves the water, he forgets he is just little and wants to be like the big kids.  He does good to keep his floatie on.  He was having a blast playing with his cousins.
Ryan and Nick really enjoyed going down the slides.  Something for all the kids, sliding, diving, basketball and just playing in the pool.
On the way back from Lava.  The kids were worn out.


More four wheeling to come. 
Ryan coming out of the creek.
This time we decided just to go on a trail instead of a certain destination.  It isn't one of my favorite trails with all the steep hills and the switchbacks.  But for some reason it didn't seem too bad, it wasn't as steep as I remembered it.  I think someone came in and took out some of the steepness with a few more switchbacks.  I can handle that, I just don't like the straight up the mountain trails.  This time I was a rider, we didn't have enough machines and Ryan wanted to try driving himself.  I rode with Carrson and both the boys drove a four wheeler.  It was fun with the exception I ended up with sores on both of my elbows from bouncing and hitting them on the machine.
Clark and Ryan are the top two and Emma is on with her Aunt on the bottom machine.
Almost straight up the mountain.
Time for a quick rest and refuel.  Or in other words snack time!
We left Andrew with grandma and grandpa knowing this was not a ride for side by sides and we didn't know how long he would last. It is about a four hour ride.  But that is okay, grandma took him and a couple of other cousins on a shorter ride.  So he was excited to tell us about it when we got back.
My riding buddy!!
 
Did I mention, I love the mountain scenery!!

Hogle Zoo While we were there we decided to go to the zoo one of the days dad was out of town.  I was telling my kids they needed to see a "real" zoo.  Yes, we go to the zoo here but it is really small compared to the Hogle Zoo. Also, we figured we could do this with their cousins on my side since they are all younger, and they could help keep an eye on them.   It ended up being me and my kids (yes I made all four of them  go), my mom, sister Heidi and her little boy, my sister Wendi was going to come but do to the stomach flu her husband ended up bringing their girls, my Aunt Kathi, cousin Megan and her four kids, and another cousin's wife and their little boy.  We had a big group and it was fun getting to see them.  I hadn't seen them in a few years, I enjoyed spending the day and visiting with them.  Thanks for coming!!

We were the first ones there since we had just dropped dad off at the airport, so we were able to get our sunscreen on and Andrew even took a little snooze before we got started.  I decided to let him sleep for the first few animals because as we left we could go see them again for him.  But then we came upon the "ephants" (elephants) and since he loves them I decided to wake him up.  He didn't want to wake up but then he saw them and was bright eyed.
When you travel with little one's (and Uncle Ryan, just kidding) you have to have a snack break. 
Seeing how many people it took to weigh as much as an elephant. We still didn't weigh  as much.
Most of the grand kids.  Talk about having fun trying to get three toddlers to look at the camera at the same time.  I think I took a dozen pictures hoping to get a good one.
Once Andrew saw this that is all he wanted to do.  He wanted to get in the log and play like the big kids.  He ended up walking more then riding in the stroller.  But there was an upside to that he feel asleep almost before we left the parking lot. 
Peyton was put in charge of keeping Clark with the group. 
The three little ones and Emma. Trying to see the otters and sea ions.
When the sea lion would come by Andrew would start to laugh he thought it was great.  I couldn't get him to leave,  I finally had to bribe him by telling him the polar bear was next.  He was good with that.
The polar bear was even better.  He would swim up to the glass, pop up swim on his back a few feet and then do it again.  The kids thought it was great, they would giggle when he would pop up.
Lunchtime.
We took a picnic lunch and enjoyed being able to have a picnic.  Here at home it is too hot and humid to have a picnic this time of year. 

Photo op by the polar bears.  Andrew loved climbing on the bears.
When you go to the zoo here you have to drink from the lion mouth.
Heidi, me and Megan.
He is as tall as a gorilla but his arms aren't long enough, maybe he just might be one, hmm.  I'm just kidding, he does like to joke around and be silly, aren't those characteristics of a gorilla?  

I hope you enjoyed our vacation as much as we did.  Sorry again about all the pictures but like I said earlier these are just a handful, and this way when I do have the time to scrapbook I have something to help me remember the fun times we had!

No comments: