Saturday, June 2, 2012

Garden 2012

I had to put a few pictures of my garden on the blog because 1 we have already picked three buckets of tomatoes and 2 we had a voluntary sunflower grow (in the middle of the garden) that is huge, when I say huge, I mean huge!!

First, the only problem with our tomato plants is that I think they have early blite so they are slowly dying.  Early blite is a fungus that you can treat (I'm told) but I can't find the copper to spray on them to prolong their lives, so we are going to try to save them as long as we can.  Oh and by the way, I planted four Roma plants and four Early Girl plants.  Yes, I am so bummed, I wanted lots of salsa and jars of tomatoes. 

So the other day lil' Clark and I went out and pulled off all the yucky leaves off.  They are looking better, but each day (or two) I go and pull off more leaves as they change color so it won't spread to the other plants.  I am hoping I can get enough to put up a few jars before they all die.  I have bought new plants hoping they won't get sick and produce tons so I can make salsa and put up some more tomatoes.  Wish me luck!! 

Second, here is a shot of just the one flower that is in bloom, there are lots of blossoms on the plant and I am hoping that I will be able to get a picture with them all in bloom.  There are a couple more just about ready to open within the next few days I hope, but for now here is this one.
I was out cooking on the grill today and I was admiring my garden and the huge sunflower and I thought to myself I wonder how big that thing is.  Em and I decided we would measure it.  The leaf we measured is 15 inches wide, 21 inches (from the trunk) long and it is 8 feet 4 inches tall.  I have never seen a sunflower that tall!!
  
The picture does not do it justice.
I'm thinking I need to take a picture with lil' Clark (he is now over 6 feet) and maybe we will be able to see how tall it is in the picture better.
Some of our tomatoes.

1 comment:

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

Be glad you got tomatoes at all. I tried growing some for two summers, and only got one tomato before the blight hit one year and the next the squirrels and chipmunks would eat them as soon as they started turning a little red. Frustrating to say the least.