Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Andrew's first snow?

Yes, it is the end of January and like in the past we were told we had a snow storm coming.  This storm was  supposed to drop 3-5 inches of snow in our area, we were also supposed to have freezing rain with it.

  Monday afternoon we got the phone call that school was dismissing Tuesday at 11 and it was cancelled for Wednesday.  Later that night we received another phone call that school was going to be out Tuesday and Wednesday and they would let us know about Thursday.  Here, it hit earlier then was planned and it ended up being worse then expected.  It was a good thing the kids were already home since the buses probably wouldn't have made it.  The freezing rain had already started and the roads were horrible even before school was to let out.  Carrson also ended up calling to let us know that they had closed the plant and that he was on his way home.  It took him 2 1/2 hours to go about twenty miles.  There were so many accidents that had closed the roads and bridges.  After sitting on the road forever (it seemed) he finally got out of Montgomery and was able to be on his way.  He spent most of his time waiting to get over the interstate junction after turning around off another road that had had an accident with a fatality.
This is what his truck looked like by the time he got home. Icicles all over the front and ice on the hood.  Even living in Cache Valley (back in Utah) I don't recall our vehicles looking like this after being driven.

Like I said this was Andrew's first real snow storm and we were hoping for a lot more snow.  He wanted so badly to build a snowman.  After the freezing rain had finished we thought hopefully the snow will start to fall.  I made Andrew take a nap with the promise he could go out in it when he got up.  Out of all the hype and the 3-5 inches of snow we were supposed to have, all we received was a skiff, and there was no way you could build a snowman.  But the little guy was still excited to go outside and play in it.

Mischievous little man. 
Trying to catch snowflakes on his tongue.




I went to bed last night and had a dream about snow and when I woke there was snow outside.  I still thought I was dreaming.  Just kidding.  It was so cold that the snow didn't melt like it has in the past.  I don't think we have even made it to thirty degrees Tuesday or Wednesday.  So when we woke this morning, there was still almost as much snow out there as there was when the kids were out playing yesterday.  So they were excited to go back out, even though it was only nineteen degrees outside. 
The back patio was mostly ice this morning and Andrew kept falling till he realized to go around on the grass.  He even thought it would be fun to ride a scooter over the ice.  It didn't work out as well as he thought so he abandoned that idea.
I was excited that I was able to get a picture of all four kids outside playing.  Andrew begged all of them to come outside he even got his dad to come out yesterday.  He was so excited to have them outside and play with him.
Trying to be sneaky with a snowball.


No comments: