Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Monuments, Riverfront and Band Concerts

 While Carrson's parents were here he was able to take a day off work and visit a few things here in the area with us.  We decided since the last time tried to go to the First White House of the Confederacy while they were here it was closed we would go there to start off our day.  As I am typing this I realized I should have taken a picture of Andrew on the staircase inside the house, he was in heaven, he kept going up and down and up and down.  Here we don't have stairs and so I haven't had to worry about him falling down them, but I didn't realize how much fun they could be for someone who doesn't remember them from the past summer.  He even thought these stairs were awesome.
Elizabeth
Trying to get a picture of the flag in front of the First White House of the Confederacy.  It didn't want to cooperate very well.  I believe this is the flag (style) that the confederate army flew when this home was occupied by the Jefferson Davis family.
Thumbs up!! 
Andrew had to be one the exact steps dad was. 
The grand piano that is in the home.

After we left the First White House of the Confederacy we hit up one of the pecan stores and headed to the riverfront.  I had only been there once and it wasn't nearly as nice as it is now. 
The boat in the background is a dinner cruise that you can take up the Alabama River.  No, we have not but it looks like a fun boat to travel on.



After we left the riverfront we headed to one of the Confederate Cemeteries here not too far from our house.  It was really cool to see all of the confederate flags flying at each head stone as we drove up.  It has been  fun to learn more about the south and the Civil War as we go around to these monuments.  Being from the west I have a different perspective about the Civil War I never picked up in school.  Now to visit some of the sites from the north and it will all be great.
Beautiful!!
I love the blossoms in the spring time!!  A couple of shots from the drive to the cemetery. 


And last but not least, while grandma, grandpa and Liz were here Ryan had is Spring Band Concert.  We all went and had a long and enjoyable evening.  The only problem with having these are the bleachers we have to sit on.  I can't sit comfortably with out something to lean against or my back  hurts.  But, it was a great concert and I am glad he has the musical talent that ha shows.  He was in the Jazz band also but my camera, in a gym equals not the greatest pictures.  Next year I will have to go on the floor and take some better pictures.  Where Ryan was sitting in the picture are four of the six kids from our ward (sorry one used to be till the ward split).   They all did a great job at the concert!!

No comments: