Saturday, April 30, 2011

Grandma and Grandpa's visit..so far

Like I said earlier Grandma and Grandpa Draper and Elizabeth are here visiting for the week, so we decided to go touring.  Even though they have been here before we really hadn't shown them around the area, so this time we basically stayed around here with the exception of going to Tuscaloosa to visit the University of Alabama's football stadium and just seeing the area up there.

On Monday we went and had lunch with Clark and from there we went south to Priester's Pecans for some yummy pecans.  After that we drove over to Lowndsboro (I had realized they had never been there) to see the beautiful antebellum homes from the pre Civil War time.  I love the look of those massive homes. 

Tuesday we stayed around here.  We went over to see the Buena Vista (means beautiful view) and to tour it.   It is now mostly used for weddings and receptions.  It is so beautiful.  I think it would have been a sight to see it in its day.  In its day it was surrounded with cotton for miles, wouldn't that be great, no homes on top of each other with hardly a yard for the kids to play in.  Then the kids could play for hours outside and always have something to do. 
"The Buena Vista"
Notice the magnolias blooming in the tree in front of the house.
 Magnolias in bloom.  Between the magnolias, wisteria and honeysuckle the smells are wonderful.  And yes I am allergic to something, I am tired of the allergies but I love the smells so I will endure and take my medication to cut down on the allergies.  
 This piano in in the Buena Vista, it is original to the house (over 200 years old).  It is still played today.  That is amazing!
 Original four poster bed and wash basin.

Then we headed downtown but had to divert because it started raining and we needed to get out of the car.  So we ended up driving about ten miles north to see the damage the tornado did back on April 15.  It was so sad to see what happened.  It picked up two trailer homes and dropped them else where, ripped off the chapel of a church, uprooted trees and tore trees in half.  That is just some of what it did.  Clark's bosses cousin was living in one of the trailer homes that was picked up and moved.  The crazy thing is the steps to the trailer and the flowers by the steps were untouched (picture below).  That just amazes me how a tornado works, it only destroys what is in its path.
Where a trailer home used to sit.
 Boones Chapel.  The chapel was ripped off, I can't find the picture but the pews were not even moved, but the roof and some of the walls were gone.  
 
 A tree at the church that was shredded. Below the same tree right next to one that was barely touched with the exception of a few branches.  Like I said earlier a tornado only ruins what is in its path.  CraZy!!!

 Trees just ripped and snapped off at the ground.

After viewing the destruction we went back downtown to "Old Pratt Village" to see the sights there.
I hadn't been in the spring before so there are other pictures of the same building but this time I wanted the flowering trees in the picture.  I thought it was beautiful. 
Grandma and Andrew checking out the building.  Well kind of Andrew is really trying to escape. 
I let Andrew loose for a few minutes and he was running everywhere.  Here he was trying to get away and into the flower bed.  The flowers were beautiful, I probably should have taken some more pictures of the flowers but I didn't. 

 On Wednesday we decided that we would brave the weather and head to the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa.  We left home and had a nice drive along the scenic route (not the interstate) heading towards Tuscaloosa.  It wasn't too hard to find the stadium (our main reason for going) it is huge!!!  We hadn't been there before and thought since we had seen the stadium at Auburn we needed to head to Tuscaloosa and see Alabama's. Even though we were under a severe weather warning it wasn't too bad while we were there, it was windy and sprinkled a little, we never thought we were in danger.  We left the city at about 3pm and arrived home just in time to turn on the Weather Channel (around 5pm) and see a MASSIVE tornado rip through the part of the city we had just left.  I think we just sat there stunned thinking we were just there and the weather wasn't that bad literally we were just where the tornado ripped through.  I am just so grateful that we left when we did.  I know Heavenly Father was watching out for us, and quietly let us know we needed to get home.  We were actually going to spend some more time there seeing what else there was to do, but we ended up leaving, in which now I know why.   We had a fun time up there but I am so thankful that we came home safely.  After seeing pictures of the devastation is just heart wrenching, I pray for the families that lost loved ones and their possessions and I hope they are able to find relief.   I just thank my Heavenly Father for the safety that we had that day in arriving home without any problems and I thank Him for that safety we have had through all the other storms we have had close calls with.  Whatever possessed us to move to tornado country (JK).  We just have to be on our toes when the weather gets bad :)!!!
  
The University of Alabama's football stadium
Ryan, Emma, Andrew and myself outside the stadium
Clark checking out the statues of the coaches that lead Alabama to victories
Grandpa, Clark and Emma checking out the markers of the teams and the years they won
Clark, Grandpa, Clark, Ryan and Emma.  Checking out another one of the markers that tells about the stadium
Grandma and Elizabeth waiting for the rest of us.
Clark, Ryan, Emma and Andrew.
Emma and myself, I  actually had my bangs down but by now the wind was getting stronger and I couldn't keep them under control.
On our way out of Tuscaloosa.  I had never really seen a passenger train, it was only Amtrak but I thought it was cool, and Andrew was in the back so excited to see the train. When the train stopped and it was still across the road I thought we would be there forever, but it was only there for a couple of minutes and then we were on our way home again.  I have enjoyed the visit with Clark's parents so far and I am not sure what we are going to do the rest of the week, we may just stay home and visit we'll see what the rest of the week entails. 

1 comment:

Nicky said...

wow - you guys did have a close call with that tornado. It is so sad to see the devestation. I was wondering how close to it you are. What did possess you to move to tornado country? Just think...you could be living in Cache Valley where the sun NEVER shines!!!!